Sunday 20 May 2012

Great Manchester Run

So, today was rather a big day for me. My first 10km run.

Again, for those of you who haven't met me in real life, or via Twitter, I used to be a lot heavier than I am now and have spent the last 12 months working hard to lose 92lbs and get healthy and fit. And it's worked. My trainer (I know, lucky me), got me down from a size 22 to a size 12. He also got me rather addicted to running.

And so to today - the result of lots of hard work saw me running my first 10km along with 40,000 other people. I was exceptionally lucky in that I had my friend Emma (@MissPond) to run along with me.

And so to the disappointing bit. I finished the course, a few seconds behind Emma, in 1hour 7 minutes, 6 seconds. I know I can run faster than this, in fact, I've completed my local run in 59 minutes, 16 seconds. My knee, which has been misbehaving of late, succumbed to runners' knee around the 7km mark, leaving me with 3km to push through. I'm now icing it heavily before I run to my physio this week...

Now, to the positive bit. I did it. I ran 10km in race conditions, dodging slower people, pushing through pain to complete the run in a 'reasonable' time. I'm proud of myself for having done it and I know it will be the first of many - I'm doing my first half marathon in Fleetwood in August. My family and friends are pleased for me and the sponsorship raised goes to an excellent local charity, Forever Manchester.

And of course, all of this hard work was rewarded in one of the best ways possible. With a trip to Brew Dogs new bar in Manchester, for a divine burger and some well earned beer....





No comments:

Post a Comment